So, for those that need a little prompting in the goal department, here are a few suggestions. You must pick 2 from the following list in order to participate in the Golden Sneaker Challenge:
- Exercise AT LEAST 12 times each month.
- Train to walk or run a 5K (3.1 mile) fun “run.” Or a sprint triathlon. Or a half marathon. Or a marathon. You get the idea.
- Spend at least four (4) hours a week outdoors, no matter what the weather.
- Each month try a new, healthy recipe or find ways to adapt a favorite recipe to make it healthier.
- Only eat between meals if I include a fruit or vegetable in the snack.
- Avoid eating after 9 p.m. (or whatever time makes sense for you).
- Walk 10,000 steps a day.
- Join and participate in a sports program.
- Stretch and do deep breathing exercises AT LEAST 12 times each month.
- Have veggies take up more room on your plate than grains or proteins do for every dinner.
- Eat a salad every day.
OR, you can choose any combination of the 3 choices. You just have to pick AT LEAST one (1).
Use this long weekend to ponder and ruminate and get it in to me by the end of the month!
I feel like I am committed to exercising and I do that already. I am too old to join a sports program and not have everyone hate me because I am so bad. I need to probably focus on something that I don't do well like my diet and eating habits. I would like to eat a salad every day but I don't control my menu. I also don't control what is put on my plate so I don't think I will be able to have veggies take up more room on my plate than grains or proteins. I guess I could do those things but after 28 plus years of marriage I have gotten used to someone else fixing my meals and I don't plan on changing that any time soon. I think what I can control is eating between meals. I am going to choose the goal that states only eat between meals if I include a fruit or vegetable in the snack. Right now I snack on almonds so I am going to have to introduce a fruit or vegetable. For the next goal I am going to choose something else that is not on the above list. I am going to try really hard not to overeat on dinners and weekends. That is where I really blow it. It seems like I do OK during the day but I eat too much at night and on weekends. I guess I will make this a bucket list and stop eating before 9:00 PM. I am g'ing to work really hard on that this year. It is going to be tough to overcome some bad habits but hopefully with everyones help and encouragement I will be able to pull through.
ReplyDeleteYou've obviously put some thought into this! That's great because from good thoughts come good actions. It takes a lot of practice to change habits but this is where it all starts!
DeleteI am going to pick the following 4 goals. Yes, I know I need to do a lot more, but I think these suggestion by Sharron are nice steps. My thoughts are that if I can accomplish these goals I will be on the bigger (a smaller me) and better things. Not sure that I will be able to reach the 10,000 steps on Sunday's but I will try and do it all other days.
ReplyDeleteAvoid eating after 9 p.m. (or whatever time makes sense for you).
Walk 10,000 steps a day
Each month try a new, healthy recipe or find ways to adapt a favorite recipe to make it healthier.
Have veggies take up more room on your plate than grains or proteins do for every dinner.
These are some great picks! A while back I got an inexpensive pedometer to track my steps and I have to say it takes more effort than I thought to get 10,000 steps a day! But once I was paying attention, I adapted and got used to hitting the mark on a regular basis. This will be a good goal to work towards because you get immediate feedback and it's so satisfying to see that magic number!
DeleteOkay I like the goals that I have made for my self but I want to make an adjustment for my goal on 10,000 steps a day. After walking around for a day and messuring my steps with a pedometer app on my phone. I realize that 10,000 steps might be a little hard at first. Did a little research and 10,000 steps adds up to about a 5 mile walk a day. I would love to be able to get to the point to walk 5 miles a day, but I am not there yet. I want to do this but I am going to start at baby steps. So here is what I am going to do.
DeleteA sedentary person may only average 1,000 to 3,000 steps a day. So my goal is to start at 3,500 steps a day and every two weeks I will add on 500 steps until I can get to 10,000 steps. I am going to change that goal to be walking 10,000 steps by September 1st. That is what it will take to get to 10,000 steps with an increase of 500 every 2 weeks. For me again it is all about baby steps then to set higher goals.
I'm going to Exercise twice a week for at least a half hour. Try a new gluten free recipe once a month. Do my knee strengthening exercises three times a week.
ReplyDeleteGlad to have you join in! Just curious: do you have a gluten intolerance or is there some other reason behind your shunning of gluten? :)
DeleteI do have a gluten intolerance. I found out not too long ago so I'm still trying to adjust to it.
DeleteAw, not fun. But people do successfully deal with it all the time. I'll keep an eye out for good tips and recipes.
DeleteAfter reading Jeff, Al and Karlie's goals, I'm really motivated to try a little harder. Why is it so hard to stay healthy? Does Satan have something to do with it? Anyway, I think every little bit helps. Sometimes the little things are the important things.
ReplyDeleteGood luck to everyone on reaching their goals.
Mom
Alright 2012 here I come!! I want to exercise at least 12 times a month -- that is three times a week, right? and incorporate more healthy eating. I decided at the beginning of the year to go vegetarian for one dinner meal a week -- I made a great vegie lasagna that I will post later. Eating healthy and cutting back on the sweet stuff and just getting more active. It sounds so simple but is yet so hard.
ReplyDelete