So one of my goals this year is to try to make one healthy new meal each month. I have done pretty good with this goal so far. One way I have really made an effort in making the healthier choices is to use ingredients with less sodium. Last month I made Red Beans and Rice with cornbread. Dave and I love Red Beans and Rice from the box, but this recipe was great and had way less sodium! If anyone would like this great southern recipe here it is:
Red Beans and Rice
1 1-lb. pkg dried red beans
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 lg. jalapeno pepper
1/4 c. celery, chopped
1/4 c bell pepper, chopped
2 Tbls. dried parsley flakes
1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning (often found with in Seafood department)
1 lb. Conecuh, kielbasa, or smoked sausage
2 tsp seasoned salt
Wash Beans. Combine all ingredients in large pot with plenty of water. Cook until beans are tender (about 1 1/2 to 2 hours). Serve on rice (I use brown rice to make it healthier).
I hope all is going well for everyone else! Dave and I are looking forward to getting Fit Stanley next.
Yum, thanks Erin. With a veggie or salad on the side, it's a healthy, satisfying meal. Also, I think the turkey sausage (like from Jennie-O) tastes great and has pretty good nutritional stats.
ReplyDelete