Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Power of Steel

I must admit I had high expectations when I purchased an industrial-sized package of steel cut oats at Costco. I was going to have a healthy breakfast every morning that was going to energize me and get me through the day. Well . . . I can't even tell you how long the package stayed in the cupboard before I actually got around to opening it. (hint: a loooong time!) But now that I have I'm a FAN!! I LOVE this stuff. It isn't mushy like oatmeal and tastes absolutely delish. Here is how I prepare it:

1 cup of steel cut oats
3 cups water

In the evening, bring to boil on the stove. As soon as it boils, take it off the burner and put a lid on it. Leave it there overnight and when you get up in the morning, just dish some up and put it in the microwave for about a minute, until hot.

Now for the fun part: What to put on top . . . you can sweeten it with sugar, brown sugar, honey, yogurt, maple syrup, agave then add fruit, fresh or dried, nuts, cinnamon . . . anything you can think to make it yummy.

Super simple and absolutely doable . . . and on the road to healthier eating.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard of doing overnight oatmeal but haven't ever tried it. I'm so glad you told us about it... I'm gonna do it!

    ReplyDelete