Sunday, April 10, 2011

Spiritual goal

I have made a goal to 1) watch one talk everynight from general conference. We have conference on demand on our cable network so I can watch it any time. I am going to apply something that I learn from the talks to my life. 2) Amy and are planning a day to go to the Temple every month, on a day that she doesn't work and the kids are in school. I will block that afternoon from work and we will go to the Temple. I like this months challenge. It is important to have a balanced life. I like the following peom: Excess Express—Peter G. Czerny He worked out for years, to reduce all his fat. His muscles were firm and his stomach was flat. He jogged nights and mornings to keep himself trim. And still found some time to play tennis and swim. He drank protein drinks, and ate health foods galore, Then weight lifted, cycled, and lifted some more. He told wife and kids that it gave him a "high," They said not a word, as he pecked them good-bye. "If things work out right," he yelled back from afar, "I’ll make Healthworld’s cover! I’ll be a big star!" But, why could he not see the truck up ahead? One thud—and his beautiful body lay dead. And then he saw something that filled him with fright— His spiritual body was one sorry sight! A skeleton, covered with nothing but skin, He got up to heaven . . . but didn’t get in. "Another soul’s mine!" Satan started to scream, "Give man something nice, and he’ll take the extreme! O.K. I’ll admit it . . . I’ll outright confess— For the fast way to hell, take the Excess Express."

1 comment:

  1. Great poem, Al! I love it - thanks for sharing. I get overwhelmed when I think of all the things we have to accomplish - until I remind myself that none of us are going to be perfect in this life... that's what the rest of eternity is for. This is a good reminder that we just need to put an appropriate amount of effort into the many different facets of our lives for the best chance at happiness.

    ReplyDelete